Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Uncle Lee's comment about the above photo.

"So, I explained all about Santa Clause, the cookies & milk thing & HOW HE SHOULDN'T EAT THEM ! 1st Lt Lee [the short haired one] and Baron Sigfried von Brutus Seligman. It really was my chair, I just didn't have the heart to tell him ... not that it would have done any good !My Xmas card pic ... "

What a sweet looking dog to have eaten my Aunties Mr. Chips (bird)! Accident - I know - but to this day when I think about Brutus, I think about Mr. Chips flying by and CHOMP! Lee replaced that Mr. Chips with another Mr. Chips - I'm sure as close in color to the Brutus appetizer. (sorry Lee - could not resist!).
By-the-way kids, check out the television set on the right. That was probably fairly new in 1961! Do you know what they used for remotes in 1961? They used their children. Only about three channels - four or five if you lived in the city. I'm quite sure Lee watched primarily for the news. He was and still is so into politics.
OMG and NO video games either! How would you children have managed?

4 comments:

Mason Fleske said...

Um...the first 15 years of my life we had a console TV and I WAS the remote control. Not news to this gal!

USNA Ancient said...

Hi, Cortni ... see you have already fulfilled your appointed purpose iin life ... (;o}

USNA Ancient said...

NEW ? Not likely on a Lt's pay [2nd or 1st] ... as a 2nd Lt., I got $222/mo base pay, $100/mo hazardous duty pay [when applicable], $100/mo flight pay [when applicable], $47.88/mo subsistence, & $95/mo quarters for living off base ! Half the rent on the old farm we rented near the base, $100/mo in payments on my '60 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible, car insurance, gas @ maybe $0.20/gal., the rest went to cover my bar & food tab at the O Club, NCO Club [I used to go with my Sgts. ... got into trouble because of it, too; but that didn't stop me !], and elsewhere. Ate a lot of PB&J sandwiches at the end of every month !!!

USNA Ancient said...

I originally bought Brutus for my Dad, but he grew to be taller than my Dad [on his hind legs ... Brutus, not my Dad] and damn near out weighed him {Brutus weighed 135#, my Dad never more than 145#]. There was a Dutch door between the dining room and the screened-in porch. When my folks went out for the evening the porch became Brutus' primary residence, since when he was in the house he would clear tables by wagging his tail Several times they would come home to find Brutus sitting on the front lawn waiting for them ... he has literally walked through the metal screening. My Dad had chicken wire installed over the lower half of the screening to no avail; the next time they came home, there was Brutus sitting on the front lawn waiting. So, I got Brutus back to live with my in the BOQ ... not a big hit with the moke staff. We had a xmas party on year and Brutus got drunk on bourbon and water and I carried him back to my room ... When I finally sacked out, I guess I left to door ajar, because a few hours later I was awakened by a blood-curdling scream.I went to the room across the hall then occupied by a TDY Capt. who had also been at the party. Brutus was standing on top of him in his bed with his front paws planted on his shoulders licking his face ... this poor guy thought one of the guard dogs had gotten loose and was petrified, afraid to move ! I moved out of the BOQ shortly thereafter !