Friday, July 25, 2008

Thinking

I've been thinking about my brother Eric extensively for the past 24 hours. He has never been far from my thoughts, but finding my mother's obituary a couple of months back and another recent turn of events has brought my thoughts and memories back to a much easier time of life.
This blog was set up for happy memories and I will do my best to keep it that way, but I feel I must post a copy of my Mom's obituary so that everyone can read. My children (with the exception of Ryan) know little about my parents and Todd, Mark and my grandchildren know nothing.

Since this blog is a history of the Seligman family, I feel it important to pass this along. The next post will be a happy one, I promise!

Anyway, below is the obituary my brother wrote.
May Margaret Seligman Erickson 1929-2007
May S. Erickson, 77, died Sunday evening, July 22, 2007 en route to Lexington Medical Center in West Columbia, SC.May, or Dusty as she was known in some circles, was born August 14, 1929, in Washington, D.C., to Mervin M. and Dorothy Jean Seligman. She was raised and attended school in the District.She married William M. Erickson on May 22, 1948, in Rockville, Maryland. They became the parents of two children.Through the years, the family of four moved several times as a result of Mr. Erickson’s work with consulting engineering firms specializing in bridge construction (Baton Rouge, New Orleans, and Denham Springs, La.; Cincinnati, and Kansas City). May primarily worked as a secretary in various capacities (travel agencies, legal firms, real estate agencies, etc.), while supporting her husband and children in their individual and collective endeavors. The family moved to Somerset, Kansas, in rural Paola, where they established Erickson Land Surveys in 1971. While usually maintaining employment outside the home (i.e., various legal secretarial positions, Lakemary Center, etc.), May served as her husband’s accountant and clerk in his home-based business. The couple eventually moved themselves and the business into a log cabin north of Paola. May officially retired when Mr. Erickson retired from surveying in 1994. Upon the death of her husband in 2001, she negotiated the sale of the family home and moved to the St. Andrews area of Columbia, SC, in 2003 to be closer to her son.A night-person by nature, May enjoyed both foreign and domestic travel, playing cards, music, TV and movies, gambling, crossword puzzles, fine dining, and socializing in general. She was an avid football/baseball fan, and a rabid supporter of both the Kansas City Chiefs and Royals. More recently, she had developed into a follower and fan of the Atlanta Falcons & Braves, as well as the Carolina Panthers.Surviving are her son, Eric Erickson of Columbia, SC; a daughter; and three grandchildren.Mrs. Erickson donated her body to science. Arrangements were made via Science Care of Arizona in coordination with Lexington Medical Center. At her request, and in keeping with the provisions she made for her husband of 53 years, no formal services are planned.In lieu of flowers, it is requested that donations be made in her name to Lakemary Center (http://www. lakemaryctr. org/).

4 comments:

Mason Fleske said...

Thank you for posting that! It was nice to read a little bit about a woman that I really didn't get to know.

Seligman Past said...

You are welcome, honey.

This blog is not so much for me, but rather for you, Ryan, Tiffani, Todd and Mark and your children and grandchildren.

A place where your history will live on if not through actual memories - through photos and the memories of Lee and myself.

USNA Ancient said...

Some day, I shall maybe relate why my former sister and I no longer acknowledged each other [note: although I do believe I still exist, my former nephew saw fit to write otherwise !

Unknown said...

There was a reason why my mother's "loving" brother was omitted from the obit -- while he included his two sons in my Grandmother Seligman's obit, he conveniently neglected to mention both my sister & I.