Wednesday, July 9, 2008

S. Kann and Sons Department Store

What would memories of my childhood be without mentioning yet another special place in my heart; Kann's Department Store.

My Grandfather was Head Shoe Buyer (at least that's how I remember it) for Jewish family owned department store located on what S Kann described as the "Busy Corner" of Eighth Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW. The department store was a Washington area landmark from 1893 to 1975.

When I would visit my Grandparents (nearly every summer), my Grandmother would drive me downtown Washington DC to meet my Grandfather for lunch. I always got a new pair of shoes and more often than not a few dresses too. Then we would walk down the street to a wonderful Jewish deli for a Kosher hot dog - yum! If I close my eyes and think hard enough, I can still smell the aroma of kosher meats and fresh baked breads.



In the winter, my mother would trace my feet and send the tracings to my Grandfather. In a few weeks... viola.... a couple of new pair of shoes would arrive at our home just for me and just my size!

If you ever wondered what was behind the curtains in the shoe department, all I know is that at Kann's Department Store - it was boxes and boxes of shoes and my Grandfather's office.


I still love the feel and smell of a good fitting shoe!


Below are some photos of that store. It's a shame that my children never knew what an "old time" department store was. When you watch old Christmas movies from say... the 1940's and 1950's watch closely for the department store windows. What a wonderful sight!


Inside the store









1 comment:

USNA Ancient said...

He was Ass't Shoe Buyer from '28 to about '31, actually Acting Shoe Buyer, because the Buyer was quits sick & dying. From then until '52 he was Shoe Buyer [Women's, Men's and Children's]; in '52 he was made Merchandise Manager for 17 Departments and by '71 he was Merchandise Manager for 32 ! He worked for Kann's for 42 years. Sol Kann, one of the owners was a friend of his from his teen years in B'more. More about Kann's later, if you want.