Saturday, July 12, 2008

Rear of house @ 7816-16th St., NW, Washington 12, DC


Since my Uncle Lee is giving me descriptions of the photos he is sending, I will just let him tell you about each. My memories of the inside of the house were from the perspective of a very small child. Below is what Lee has to say - much more accurate than my own from a few posts back
"Back of 16th St [sleeping porch at 2nd floor ... white, lap-strake wood and green and white striped awnings ... below that was the den (knotty-pine paneled with built in floor-to-ceiling bookshelves on tither side of the glass-paned door to the living room), Dad's liquor closet and the 1/2bathroom]; kitchen is on the far right; formal living room, foyer, and formal dining room in front [on left from street] 2nd floor: in addition to the back porch, there were 2 bedrooms and a full bathroom and the "master suite" with bath [stall shower]; stairway to 3rd floor between bedrooms: cedar closet that stretched full width of the house; hallway, and another bedroom which was mine after your mother left home c. '47-8. There was also a basement with Angie's room and bath, laundry [washing machine and tubs ... no dryer ... things were hung outside in nice weather and in the basement when not !, and storage. The lot was deep, maybe 150 feet or more with a two-car garage and storage loft [neat to play in as a kid ... if you didn't get caught !;"

"The porch to which you refer [I think] was on the second floor and was my "bedroom" during the summer and a very large refrigerator during the winter; it was screened and had awnings, but also had crank- out windows and ran almost half the width of the house ... the dog probably was mine; her name was Ginger, breed unknown but believed to be part German Shepard, part Dingo ... she didn't hate you, she just didn't like kids, especially those who tried to pull her ears and tail !!! She was not a friendly dog, but was very protective of her family ... she waited for my Dad at the front door at 1800 hrs every day and stayed there 'til he came home. I once ran into [actually was pushed] a street lamp post in junior high going to lunch at the drug store lunch counter/soda fountain a couple of blocks away and literally knocked myself out. Cops brought me home [one was Aunt Eva Press' brother ... they had to help me to the front door and when they opened the door, Ginger bit one of them; she thought they were trying to hurt me !!"

See, I told you how funny it was the things you remember from childhood! That house sure does look smaller than I remember.

My Grandpa must have smoked a pipe at some point in his life. When I think of him, I often can smell the sweet aroma of pipe tobacco - and peppermint? This must have been in the den to which Lee referred above.

3 comments:

USNA Ancient said...

He did occasionally smoke a pipe, his collection thereof ... maybe a dozen briar-type and tobacco bowl ... was kept on a shelf in the den ... GOOD MEMORY !

dardvl said...

Funny seeing the back of the house. My dad would occasionally drive past the "house on 16th st." and comment on how somebody ruined something by adding or subtracting something that made it different than he remembered i.e. tree gone, flowers wrong, awnings that looked wrong, etc, etc.
Anyway, all I ever saw was the front usually at 2 mph from the car.
Nice to here the stories about the house that everyone has always so lovingly referred to for all these years.

Seligman Past said...

Oh Todd, I wish for just one moment in time you could get inside my head and see what I see when I think of that house.

I guess that age does have it's advantages when it comes to family memories.