Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Christmas' on Verbena Street





First photo was Christmas 1961. Yes, I am aware that I look like I am on drugs or at least some heavy medication!


Of course, that's my father and mother in the back and Eric and I in front.

2nd photo was taken at Christmas time again on Verbena Street. The house in the background is that of my Grandma and Grandpa Seligman. What a beautiful home that was!


Lee was home that year on leave from the Navy and I think that is the year we celebrated not only Christmas, but Hanukkah as well. I loved celebrating Hanukkah - gifts for 8 days each better than the day before and wonderful food too (mazto ball soup - yummy Cortni!) - what else could a kid ask for?


I'm sure you are by now laughing out loud at the plaid and tweed coats - my "blue" glasses and the BAD hair cut (I think my mother must have trimmed my bangs) and look closely at the fur lined ear "flaps" on my brother's hat.

Anyway, we had driven all night from Louisiana to spend the holidays with both sets of grandparents. Imagine the surprise Eric and I had when we saw what seemed to be 10 feet of snow! We had never seen that much snow before. I can remember sledding - snowmen and snowball fights - damn Eric you threw that one too hard - it hurt!


The photos below were also taken Christmas - 1962 - OMG - it just dawned on me - that was 46 years ago!





Left to right:
Uncle Lee, Aunt Boddy, Eric, Uncle Selly. Lee gave me one of his hats and I used to wear it everywhere! He was my hero!


Below are Lee and "big sister" May (my mother). Such a happy holiday - at least that's the way I remember it.




5 comments:

Mason Fleske said...

I was just diggin' on that haircut. Jealous!

USNA Ancient said...

OK, Kiddo ... leave was from the US Air Farce [oops !], not the US Navy [long story and one of the two major mistakes I'll admit to making in -so far- 70+ years ... make that three, the third being smoking.

'62 was the year I broke my leg Xmas Eve [early Xmas morn]; Xmas Day was also the day Selly's Mother died, so -all-in-all- if you don't remember those two events, I got the year wrong on those pics labeled Xmas '62 [this qualifies only as a minor mistake & doesn't count !]; it could have been '60, '61, or '63 ... I think '61 maybe [anyhow it's in the middle of the possibles]. If I can pin it down with more accuracy, I'll let you know ... though don't "... hold your breath & turn blue" ... now I wonder where I got that from. Also you neglected to tell us how many times you got car sick on that trip, whenever it was ... (:o{ ... sorry, couldn't resist !

Seligman Past said...

Car sick? Ha! Why do you think we always traveled at night? Anyway, my lack of traveling well did have it's up side... I always got a "window seat"!

USNA Ancient said...

The pic with your mother was ... much, much better days !Oh, and re date ... '62 was also the year your Grandmother fell and broke both her arms and nose on New Year's Eve. and the year Brutus "ate" Mr. Chips !

USNA Ancient said...

Nope ... not '62 for the Brutus-Mr. Chips incident ... Auntie came to take care of DTS, but her arms were broken on New Yea's Eve ... I had gone back to Langley when Walter Reed Hospital released me and was home for the weekend, so it must have been the first or second Friday in '63 ... not that it really matters in the grand scheme of things !