Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A Birthday Evening?


Fuzzy photo of my parents May Margret Seligman Erickson and William Murphy Erickson. Probably taken in 1954 (but not absolutely sure). I do know this was taken outside my grandparents house on 16th Street in Washington, DC.
Since they both looked dressed to the "t" this is possibly a night out on the town for their birthdays. My parents were both born on August 14th. My mother (if memory serves - and it doesn't too much lately) in 1929 and my father exactly 2 years earlier.
Again if memory serves, they met in college (George Washington?) and had a brief courtship before marrying in May of 1948.
My brother Eric was born on October 26, 1949 and I followed three years later on November 12, 1952.
How strange to look at this handsome couple and think of them as my parents. The memories that I have stored are of them in much later years. My father I can only remember in work clothes and boots with totally gray hair. My mother appears to me in business attire. They look so very young with the whole world in front of them and not a care in the world.
Wouldn't it be wonderful to just choose a photo - jump back in it and start again from there? That's me - a dreamer always was - always will be.

1 comment:

Mason Fleske said...

Strange for you? It was so neat for me to see my grandparents young! My only memories of them were with gray hair and wrinkles. What a good looking couple.