Wednesday, July 9, 2008

7816 16th Street, Washington, DC

This was the home of Mervin and Dorothy Seligman and their two children May Margret and Lee Charles from 1941 through 1958.
I remember the inside of this house much better than the outside. The photo was actually a bit of a shock for me. The black and white images that flash through my head when I think of the times I spent with my Grandparents are quite different.
My recollections are....
A large kitchen with a swinging door - "watch out the door will bite you"
A very large dog under the kitchen table that growled whenever I came near - bad doggie!
A screened in porch (on an upper level - I think) with me coloring and playing games with Grandma - hugs and kisses were abundant!
A rather robust black woman named Angie who made the best fried chicken, read stories to me and let me follow her around as she did her daily chores. I remember sitting on her bed as she brushed my hair and hummed songs to me. (I sure loved her!)
Of course my Grandma and Grandpa with me at the table eating dinner. Back then children were expected to sit at the table until excused - sometimes that seemed an eternity!
Funny the little flashes of childhood we remember - never quite knowing if real or imagined. The above memories are very real to me - I sure hope I didn't just imagine such a happy and safe place.
After 1958 my Grandparents moved to an apartment.. not like the ones I live in, but big, bright and beautiful. Unfortunately the balcony of the apartment never did take the place of that screened in porch.

1 comment:

USNA Ancient said...

I hate to tell you this, but Ginger was not " ... a very large dog ...", you were just a very small girl !!
When I get them scanned, I'll show you a VERY LARGE dog, "Wookie", my Irish Wolfhound ... standing with her paws on my shoulders, she looked me straight in the eye. Mark, @ maybe 5'8" on top of a milk crate on end with his arm stretched above his head, would give her a treat ... she didn't even have to stretch to get it. Close as we could figure, she was about 7'6" and weighed 250#. One day while Mark and I were still in Richmond, I gave her a carton [1/2 gal. of ice cream ... she ate it ... carton and all. Another time I had roasted a 26# turkey and gave her the aluminum roasting pan to lick ... she ate the pan !!! ... also, once ate a bar of Dial soap. When we moved out here, we [Mark, Todd, a "friend" of his, and I] rented a house in Huntington Beach. One of Todd's girl friends found a Chocolate Lab wandering around that we adopted. Inside the house every time "Wookie" walked past "Wilburrrr" [the new comer] he would snap at her. She put up with him for about two weeks, then the next time he snapped at her, she knocked him ass over tea kettle. After that they were the best of friends and played together ... she was the only dog "Wilburrrr" ever let play alpha dog around him ! When I moved on the boat, she was just too unhappy, so we gave her to a woman who had an avacado farm in Azuza, where she chased bears and had all the avacados she could eat ... and did ... last we heard she still chased bears, but weighed 300#.