Thursday, August 14, 2008

Let's go further back



I told you I post the photos as the notion or emotion hits me. Today was to say the least an interesting day for me. I found I was unable to concentrate at work and my mind wandered back to Grandma, Grandpa, and all the family from when I was a child.

But I also found myself wondering what times were like when my parents and their parents were children. Suffice to say a more gentle time than now - certainly. A more caring and loving atmosphere - you bet. The world of those who lived around the turn of the century and into the 1940's and 1950's revolved around family and friends more so than now. The "pace" was much slower and .... gentile (I think that's what I mean to say).

Television, video games, computers, cell phones and texting were unimaginable.

The photo above is of my Grandmother, my Mother and my Grandfather Seligman. I think they make quite the handsome family. Personally, I think Grandma was a stunner!

Lee calls that "ever present" bow in my mother's hair "the growth". I have to agree that it is rather silly looking. But at the time, I'm sure it was fashionable.

Grandpa is wearing "wire" glasses - he looks so strange in them as this is the only photo I have ever seen that he was not wearing either black or "horn rimmed" glasses - is that the correct term? Actually, I like them!
However, some things never seem to change. Check out the patent leather "mary janes" on my mother. I know I had an identical pair and both my girls did too!

No comments: