Saturday, August 9, 2008

Dinner


Strange the things you remember from childhood. I decided to treat myself to lamb chops for dinner tonight and vivid memories came flooding back to me of my Grandma Seligman.
Whenever we would visit (whether at Christmas or in the summer), she would always broil lamb chops. First we would go shopping at a "special" market where everyone knew her by name. I can hear someone saying... "So, Mrs. Seligman, how may we help you today?". Grandma would reply "You remember my granddaughter Dotsie - we would like some double lamb chops, please".
Later, I would be in the kitchen helping her with whatever small chore she could find for me to do without hurting myself.
I rarely remember Grandma wearing pants, so imagine this photo with her wearing an apron cooking dinner and chattering away with me as I anticipated the delicious taste of the lamb chops we would soon be eating. The table always set with a table cloth and real napkins. My grandma had style!

The photo on this page was actually taken in 1970 - but this is the photo I see in my mind whenever I think of her. Every hair in place - beautiful white (sometimes blue - hehe) hair, dressed as if she were going to town.

2 comments:

Mason Fleske said...

Cigarette in hand. Nice.

USNA Ancient said...

Probably a Pall Mall in 1970 . Dayna, who was very pregnant with Todd, took this pic as my Mother opened the door -she hated having her picture taken- and it's one of the best we have. If memory serves, we were there to go to diner with she and my Dad.