Sunday, August 23, 2009

Matzo Balls (sorry Cortni and Ryan!)

This is Grandma Seligman's recipe -
not Kosher - but really - really good!


1 1/2 boxes Matzos (round tea preferred but I have to use the square ones because I can never find the round)
4 onions
1 stick of butter
3 large or 4 small eggs

Break Matzos into very small pieces (I usually break them up - then with my fist, I smash them a bit more just to get small enough) and cover with water to soften (the water will dry out when cooked) - they will probably need to stand in the water for an hour or so to get soft enough.

Chop onions very finely (this is one time I do the chopping by hand) - saute onions in butter until translucent. I do this is a very large frying pan.

Drain off excess water from Matzos (but not totally dry) and pour over onion and butter mixture and add raw eggs.

Season to taste (this really is a taste thing) with:
salt
pepper
poultry seasoning
celery salt
ginger (I don't use the ginger)

Mix thoroughly and heat on med/low just until dried (like cookie dough) stirring often as to not burn the bottom or dry any section too much (if too dry they will not roll)

Refrigerate then roll into balls about the size of a golf ball or a bit smaller and return to fridge until ready to cook.

Now... here comes the tricky part.... (or you can do like Tiffani and I do and put some broth in a bowl - add some matzo balls - heat in the microwave and you don't have to worry about them falling apart in boiling water).

Drop balls into boiling water and remove when they rise to the top. Serve in hot beef broth.

I make my own beef broth from scratch - but you could use canned (definitely not as good - but not bad)

This recipe will serve 6-8 people, so if you are making it just for you for a night or two you may want to cut the recipe in half (still use the whole stick of butter though)

3 comments:

Mason Fleske said...

DOUBLE GROSS!

Seligman Past said...

I knew you would have something to say about that. The Jewish side of you is minute at best!

dardvl said...

Thanks for posting this! Sian has been experimenting with her own recipe and I have pushed it in the direction of what I remember Grandma Dorthy making. Her's is surprisingly close just through trial and error.
Anyway, Miss you. Love ya. Happy Christmahanukah and happy New Year.