Sunday, August 23, 2009

Beef Broth (for Matzo Ball Soup)

For those who like their Matzo Ball Soup with homemade broth...

Sure am glad I remembered I typed this in an email to Eric.. not sure I would have remembered the recipe and could not find it in my recipe box.

1 large container of Swansen's beef broth (yes I cheat!).
1 small bottle of V8 juice (like a single serve 16oz bottle).
Beef neck bones (soup bones or even a small beef roast)
1 large onion quartered
2-4 stalks of celery (sometimes I use this - sometimes not)
1-2 cups of water (you may need to add more later)
Bay leaf or leaves (depending on taste)
Salt and pepper to taste
I like to add just a little garlic powder too.

Bring to boil and reduce heat and simmer for several hours - check taste - if too strong add a bit more water. After it tastes to your liking, strain so that all that remains is the broth. I usually make this the night before as I like the taste better after cooled and reheated. If I make a big pot of broth, I will strain and then keep half the broth for the matzo ball soup and make vegetable beef soup out of the rest. That's why I said you could use a small beef roast instead of the beef bones. In my vegetable beef soup, I add...

Pre-boiled potatoes (until almost - not quite done - pre-boiling takes the starch taste out before adding to soup - pre-boiling until almost done will keep them from falling about when simmering in the soup)
Frozen vegetables (fresh when I can get them)
carrots celery corn tomatoes (diced) green beans peas chopped onion (I love onions!) (whatever else suits me at the time) Since the broth is already made, I just simmer the broth - add the vegetables along with the diced beef and simmer until the vegetables are tender (the beef should already be tender from making the broth) Generally, I will freeze the vegetable soup as the matzos will not freeze well but will last several days in the fridge if covered tightly. Making lots of broth means I get 2 pots of soup for less time and work than just making the matzo ball soup by itself.

3 comments:

Mason Fleske said...

GROSS!

Seligman Past said...

Gey obrt it - I gave you orange cookies AND candied pecans (a recipe I don't think I have ahsared until now)

Mason Fleske said...

GROSS GROSS GROSS. Wet nasty cracker. GROSS!