Sunday, November 2, 2008

A Special and Spiritual Time in my Life


In 1966 (or 1967), I was nominated to become a member of Job's Daughters in Paola, Kansas by Leslie Williams (a friend of my brothers). The organization was a very important one for me as it brought me closer to my high power and to my fellow Jobies. Our meetings were held on Thursday night (I think) at the Masonic temple. Below is a bit of history on the order. I had nearly forgotten about this chapter in my life until Lee scanned this newspaper clipping. The robes we wore reminded me of angels and the ceremonies were a special strength to me in a troubled time during my teens. I virtually lived for the meetings and volunteered for nearly every charitable event we sponsored.

I can still hear our voices raised in song as we closed every meeting with the following song. Even though I had not thought of the countless days I spent with my sister Jobies, sometimes when I am alone, I can hear this song in my head - it brings me peace.

"Now Our Work is Over"

Now our work is over, savior guide our hands
Daughters of the bethel, fairest in the land.

Dear Lord give Thy children, calm and sweet repose
With Thy tenderest blessing, may our bethel close - Amen

Today, the teachings I learned at these meetings still carry on in my heart. I still volunteer for Habitat for Humanity, Thanksgiving and Christmas for the homeless (most years) and Special Olympics. Nope - I'm far from being the person I wish I were, but this volunteer work is something I can do to help others and I thoroughly enjoy seeing a smile on a homeless person's face as I serve them the best meal they probably had all year and a donated coat or other clothing or the unconditional hug from a Special Olympian as I present them with their medal of achievement.

These people remind me to count my blessings and believe me, I need to be reminded of that as often as possible!

Thanks Lee for bring back such a wonderful teen memory!

After reading the overview below, you may think that Job's Daughters was a sect or cult. Quite the opposite is true. Our bethel consisted of approximately 30 girls coming together not just in worship, but in service to our community and country. We would raise money for various charitable organizations, volunteer services such as babysitting for a working mother who could not afford an evening sitter, serve as voices to raise community awareness, visit nursing homes to sing songs or read aloud to those who had no one to visit with, and since our bethel was located in Paola, Kansas we volunteered many service hours at Lakemary Center (a school for exceptional children).

My mother worked at Lakemary Center for several years as a secretary (although I suspect she was much more than a mere secretary). My first "real" job was as an evening and weekend dormitory aid at the center working primarily with down syndrome, brain damaged and autistic children. I worked there from the time I turned 16 until I was 18. The job gave me high school credit along with a satisfaction that no other job I have held since has been able to fill. I held a very special fondness for an autistic boy named John. His parents were both professionals (one a doctor and the other a lawyer - if I recall correctly), but they never came to visit and John never left the center for an in home visit. I often wonder - even today - what happened to that "special" child.

In case you were wondering how I was able to become a Job's Daughter, my Grandfather Erickson was a Master Mason. I was very fortunate to have been a member of such a fine organization!

The organization was founded as The International Order of Job's Daughters by
Ethel T. Wead Mick in Omaha, Nebraska, in 1920. The original minimum age for membership was 13 but has been changed several times over the years, most recently to age 10 in 2004. The purpose of the organization is to band together young girls who are related to a Master Mason and is intended to build character through moral and spiritual development including: a greater reverence for God and the Holy Scriptures[citation needed]; loyalty to one's country and that country's flag; and respect for parents, guardians, and elders. Job's Daughters International is not a religion itself, and its members are not required to practice a particular religion. Members are required, however, to believe in a supreme being.

Mother Mick was fond of the
Book of Job, and took the name of the organization as a reference to the three daughters of Job. The Book of Job, 42nd chapter, 15th verse says, "In all the land were no women found so fair as the Daughters of Job, and their father gave them inheritance among their brethren". She founded the Order with the assistance of her husband, Dr. William H. Mick, and several Freemasons and members of Eastern Star of Nebraska. She dedicated the organization to the memory of her mother, Elizabeth D. Wead.

Overview
The presiding officer of the Bethel is called the Honored Queen, elected by the members of her Bethel. This position is roughly analogous to Worshipful Master in a
Masonic Lodge, and to the President of an association of any kind. The Honored Queen is assisted in her duties by a Senior Princess and a Junior Princess. The Senior Princess is usually considered to be next in line as Honored Queen. Girls who finish a term as Honored Queen use the title Past Honored Queen (abbreviated PHQ) designation within Job's Daughters. The elected officers are referred to as the "line officers" of the Bethel, meaning that in general, a Daughter is elected sequentially from the lowest position (Marshal) to the highest position (Honored Queen).

[edit] Stations (Officers) of the Bethel
Elected:
Honored Queen -
my fifth office

Senior Princess - my fourth office
Junior Princess - my third office
Guide - my sixth and final office
Marshal
Appointed:
Senior Custodian
Junior Custodian
Recorder
Librarian
Chaplain
Treasurer
First Messenger - my first office

Second Messenger
Third Messenger
Fourth Messenger
Fifth Messenger
Inner Guard - my second office

Outer Guard
Musician

2 comments:

USNA Ancient said...

And I thought y'all were Druids ... (;o} ... didn't I send you some pics of a parade as well ? If not, I've got some ... somewhere !

Seligman Past said...

Nope - I don't have any photos of the parade - but I remember a parade with me in a formal with my purple robe over it.